Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The last of the Titans


Above is a picture of my last Clement Paris Roubaix Linea Kevlar in my possesion. I have this fantastic tubular mounted on a GP4 mavic, laced by Dt to a Super Record Front hub. I have had this wheel since 1996 when it was given to me by dear friend Colombo.
I like riding this tire with low pressure because it offers the best ride in the world. Unfortunately this tire is no longer made. I am interested in trying the new Vittoria Pave tubulars that come in a great 27mm width. I like big fat tires and have enjoyed the stability they offer and the plushness.
I really don't think that tubulars are inconvenient. Perhaps it just takes a little more interaction with your machine. I like to fiddlle with my bike since it gives me such good service. I give a good tune-up at the start of the season and then once or twice a week I give it a little clean and lube of the chain. This maintains the bike running well without having to do major work on it when you should be riding it. All bikes should be sorted and ready to go by April.
My tubulars are mostly aged and I have never ridden a brand new purchased tire. I have had raging arguments with this theme and I have to admit I have won.
When you buy a brand spanking new tubular you cannot just glue it on and ride it. The rubber is overly gummy and all the crap on the road will just adhere to it and cause a flat.
You select a good tubular and to be honest inexpensive tires are not cheaper in the long run. First of all inspect that it holds air and that it is round. You do this Without glue on a clean and safe tubular rim. The next step is to let the tire streach and age in a basement. I buy tires in november and start riding them in the spring. This time gives the tire time to streach and then age perfectly.
Come spring you glue the tire on and then ride the dickens out of it. Most modern tubulars are not meant to be repaired, but if you are old skool and broke you will find a way to do it. For glueing I like 3 thin coats on the rim , two on the tire and then a thin final coat to get the tire on. Inflate slowly, check for roundness and staightness, inflate to recommended pressure.
When I ride them I keep an eye on the road. I brush the tires, front and rear if I think I ran over something. This applies to expensive clinchers also. When I clean the bike I inspect the tire for cuts. I pull out anything embedded with a scriber.
Glues of preferance include vittoria, panaracer and continental. I have not tried the tapes since the glue has worked for me for so long. Other quality tubulars include the Taj Mahal of them all: Andre Dugast, Veloflex, ex Vittoria Factory, Vittoria, (now thailand), Continental , for durability specially the new Gatorskin tubular. As for the old Clements they will always be on the top of the list.

I hope to see you on the road soon,
Ari

3 comments:

strangelife said...

I remember reading the Motorola team mechanic (now with Discovery?) would age tubulars in his basement for 2 years or so. I also read a Jobst Brandt article that said ageing tires wasn't a worthwhile endeavor. Guess it's whatever works for ya.

Bobke Strut said...

Steffen Wesemann rode 15 year old tubulars at this year's Paris-Roubaix. Maybe he should have rode Godefroot's bike from 1969 while he was at it, too.

Radio Freddy said...

Bobke - What an awesome piece. I completely missed that one. My father who I consider an expert in the world of tubulars used to say that if a tubular had any hint of rubber smell they were not ready to be mounted. He would honestly "sell no tubular before its time."