Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

January 3rd, 2007


Hi to all and thanks for the comments. Bill is getting better and hopes to be on the bike soon. Today I rigged up my Gunnar Ruffian 29er to start riding it so I can get some good miles on it. I will be doing Trans Iowa and I am not settled on a bike yet. My streetdog is and awesome bike but with the 700x35s it does not leave much clearance for mud and wet gravel. The 29er I think is the way to go. Blue, I did order some Ergon grips from Quality and will receive them soon. I ordered the ones with the short barends on them. I have been checking my hand position and I can see where the ERgons would fill the void. I generally end up with sore rides after 30 mile rides. I am currently running WTB nanoraptors 700x44 on the Ruffian and they are not too bad on the road. I also need to give my knees a break from the fixed gear. Riding home tonight on the freewheel seemed like cheating but it was cool.
Another product I tested and loved was some windbloc boxers from Craft. Chicago tends to be always windy and with these boxers you can get away without wearing windtights if it is not terribly cold. Going frosty downthere is not an option.
Øur weather here has been incredible and it has been really cool to get on the bike everyday. My rollers are still folded in the shop and I hope they stay that way for a while. I know some people can handle indoor training but It drives me completely crazy. I did the rollers cause they make you focus. I have the kreitlers with the fan and that helps out a lot with overheating.
Hope you guys are having a good week for the start of 07.
Peace,
Ari
Pictured above is my old Bridgestone MB-5 which in its hey day I rode the hell out of.
Sugino cranks, rx00 short cage derailleur, diacompe cantis and levers, xt thumbies, salsa stem, ritchey bars, concor saddle, xt wheels,
This puppy weighed 30lbs before I found out that it was better to ride light bikes. Lots of fun, lots of memories. Sold in on ebay to fund the Ruffian project.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I have a few retro bikes that I should sell but I just can't bring myself to do it yet.

Ari said...

Once you start getting rid of them its a good feeling. my next bike is a quickbeam from rivendell
ari

bluecolnago said...

heavy bikes re great for downhills!!! :)

you'll like the ergons. don't be afraid to adjust them till you find the perfect position. i had a pair with the small barends but i traded them to my daughter in law for a pair of the originals, which is what i was used to on my geared mountain bike. they are an excellent product either way.

glad to hear that bill is alright.

peace out, yo!