Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pugsleys better than cars????????

Last night , Courthouse in Sycamore


The Slender Fungus ride was shortened to 10 miles



View from Inside my Garage. My gracious Neighbors dug us out.




Riding Home during the Blizzard


Riding home with Hellmut during the Blizzard. Note emergency Snow Shoes strapped to bag.


Well equipped rider: snow Boots, snow gloves, goggles, and a backpack with food and supplies.


T.J. came to visit during the storm .



My commute to work the day of the blizzard




It seems that a lot of drivers got stranded in their cars, suvs and pickup trucks. Hellmut and I rode home during the brunt of the storm in what will go down as one of my most epic rides. The wind was blasting out of the east (direction we were travelling) and visibility was zero. We both rode the Pusgleys in the granny gear and we pushed, rode, carried and then pushed and then rode. It was a huge effort to make it home. I felt panicky at times since we pedaled eastbound and because of the whiteout we thought we were in a void. The bikes never let us down. Most drivers were ill prepared with inadequate clothing, no food, no water and no gas in their tanks!! I arrived home, and thanked my bike for bringing me home. Would have never left me in the ditch to freeze!!!
I have learned how indispensable it is to own a snowbike where I live. We were going to leave the bikes at the shop and snowshoe the whole thing but that would of been weird to wake up and not find the Pugsley in the garage.
Last nights ride was very cold mainly because of the wind. At 7 degrees with a stiff wind I started to get cold around the 10 mile mark and I returned home. I for sure will get my miles in for the month.

best,

Ari

No comments: