Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Monday, May 9, 2022

Works for me


Bike Specialties Bridgestone I spotted at Supermarket

 A few, many moons ago we would get the real Chicago winters around here. I’d be cooped up inside going nuts. We had dumb trainers with a fan or magnets to create the resistance needed. So, we bundled up and tried hiding in the woods or on trails. We rode the so called “heavy cruisers”. Basically 26” wheeled mountain bikes with smoother tires, fenders, a rack and primitive lights. 

We rode those beasts everywhere. We froze on them and then would stop at the white hen pantry for coffees and doughnuts. Nowadays the roads are pretty empty of winter riders. Indoor training is a lot more convenient and efficient . 

I used to have this rule back then. 1,000 miles would loosen up the legs. 1,000 miles would get me some fitness and get rid of that heavy feeling on the saddle. It really isn’t the saddle that causes the saddle pain. It’s one’s weak legs, not strong enough to support one’s weight. We also used quill stems on our bikes and it was customary to raise up the bars a bit in the winter. 

And… my theory still works for me. It’s almost the middle of May and I’m hovering around 750 miles. I feel a twinge of fitness. But that kind of mileage for this time of the year is pretty poor. 

We’ll see how I fix that. In the meantime I gotta hit that 1,000 mile mark. 

Thanks for reading, 

Ari










1 comment:

Guitar Ted said...

It's been a rough VERY windy early part of the year. I am behind as well. But better to be whole and healthy than bunged up from a crash or over-use knee issue from pushing too hard in ridiculous winds.

We will get there!