Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Just a note on Riding




Dealing with cars has become one of my worst fears and frustrations. Today Sunday I spent all day trying to get our old olds running again. Thanks to pal Chris the monster is roaming the tar ribbons again. Thanks dude. I am still trying to figure out how I will situate myself to the point where my family will not need the services of the automobile. I have become very apathetic to driving and because of it this fall I will not have a cross season. I cannot justify driving for 2-3 hours with the car to reach some destination and then race for 30 minutes. If I can ride to the race I will do it otherwise I cancel. I think racing in America is very difficult and costly since the distances are so great.
I am committed to commuting and riding out of the garage when possible. I hope to continue the commuting for as long as I can since it has given me a lot of time to think and figure out some stuff. The quote given below is from Ex-Pro Allan Peiper.

"You're confronted with your demons. You release pressure and emotions by riding, but releasing them isn't the same as dealing with them. Once you stop riding you don't have the release any more, and then you have the black hole. It's especially hard for creative personalities: you ride, and you think you're someone, then you stop and you're nobody. All of a sudden you're standing in front of the mirror , looking at yourself and having to deal with the person you are in a new world."


Ditch the car as often as possible and ride the bike.


Ari

No comments: