Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Friday, September 7, 2007

Day of Rest, at least for the legs


Today I awoke at 5:30 a.m. and my legs were still burning from Wednesdays ride. After a long week of riding and no much sleeping I kinda concluded that it was time to take a break and let my legs and bike get back to normal.
The riding has been phenomenal. The Trail is dry,dusty and fast which helps out a lot. I can't believe I spend 40 miles on the damn thing. It is pressing to start thinking about lights. Rear blinkers are a no brainer but when it comes to the front that's a whole different story.
What really helps on the trail is the fact that it is soooo dark. Led lights are bright when you look at them. They are poor performers when paired with extraneous lights such as street, cars, stores whatever. When you ride somewhere really dark they are actually pretty bright. I rode home with a small cateye with 3 leds and 2aaa batteries.
I am going to test some niteriders and see what I end up with. I will give the Niterider Minewt serious consideration based on size and long battery life. I don't need to light up a football field.
I am also posting a photo of the greatest Track hub for road. Man, I have tried them all and I always go back to Phil. Real track hubs such as DA and Campy are made for the track not the road. Sure they will work but are really not designed for use on the road.
I have two Wheels built with Phil Flip-flop hubs with Velocity DEep V rims in a 36hole 3x pattern. Never touch them, never true them, never worry about them. Theyh are top performers and worth every dollar. And hey, they made in 'merica,right in sunny California. Stop getting the Lattes and save up for the good hubs. Last pair I had were hand me downs from the early seventies and I got over 40,0000 miles on them before they exploded and were unrepairable.
The shop has been crazy busy and we are short handed. I wish bosses would understand that because our school help is back in class does not mean the season is over.
Ari

1 comment:

bluecolnago said...

hey ari...

the thin man used minewt x2's at the 24 hours of 7 oaks last weekend. pretty sweet. i actually saw several sets of them out on the trails. nice systems, compact, light weight.