Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday riding and more

Giggles' new Jewels. Boing!



I rode that little bare strip for a few miles


Site of the Catastrophe.



My beautiful, recently bought Contax T2

with extra extra sharp Carl Zeiss Lens




Noel's Cannondale waiting for Chris King Wheels

Sram Red

Look Pedals

King Wheels

Aliante Saddle

Deda bars

Thomson Post

Build X Ari



I thought about how to dress all day yesterday for today and I made all the right decisions. I was dressed warm tip to toe and the only problem I had was my tire pressure. I aired my tires before leaving the house but I don't think the presta valve stem were completely closed. Perhaps the 8 degree weather had something to do with that. I was 15 miles out in the fields when riding became harder and harder. I fought the demons against stopping and fiddling around with my tires in cold weather. They one and I came to a skidding stop. I figured to just air up the rear. Took my shiny pump off the frame, worked on the valve and then went to lock it to start pumping. Bam! the pump exploded and out came flying the inner working of such device.
I quickly hoped for co2 cartridges and they were in my bag. I hooked it up and they slowly inflated the tire to around 60 lbs. I thanked my luck and kept riding. In my head I thought about a new pump, 3 cartridges AND a mini pump tucked in my pocket. Things out in the field get ugly really quick. I was able to be outside for nearly 3 hours and I was exhausted when I got home. Surprisingly my feet were warm. I tried my Hydroskins socks paired with Smartwool Adrenaline socks, toe warmers all stuffed inside my lake winter boots.
My hands were hot and toasty in my ragg wool mittens inside my OR expedition mittens. All in all it was great to be outside and getting some exercise. Next time I will air my tires in the house because my garage seems to be too cold .
Tomorrow is my last full week at Hartleys and my driving is coming to an end.
I can't wait,
Ari



1 comment:

bluecolnago said...

noel's c-dale is pretty sweet! you do nice work!

tires going flat in the cold is bad news. glad you had a backup system to reinflate. getting stuck miles from home with a flat (or two) in the cold could really suck!